Eastland County Commissioners added some welding safety requirements to their regular burn ban during their meeting this morning. The requirements are as follows:
Violations include the use of combustible materials, including outdoor welding; however, where welding must be performed in the field, the following mitigating efforts will be mandatory until the ban has expired:
- All areas where welding, cutting or grinding operations are being performed will be free of vegetation for at least 25 feet in all directions
- Surface around welding area will be wetted down.
- Wind speeds must be no more than 20 miles per hour while performing welding, cutting or grinding operations outside of barriers or enclosures.
- A dedicated fire watch person will attend each welder, cutter, grinder and any activity that causes a spark.
- A minimum of one pressurized water sprayer with adequate supply for each fire watch person is required.