Upcoming Hiring Event September 24 and 25, 2019 in Abilene from 9 am to 4 pm. Hiring event located at West Central Texas COG / 3702 Loop 322 / Abilene, Texas.
Attached is information about Police Communications Operator positions with the Texas Department of Public Safety. Currently, Abilene has two vacancies with more statewide. Below is basic information on the vacancy — more information located at http://www.joindps.com.
Requirements for Communications Operator
- Graduation from a standard senior high school or the equivalent.
- Must qualify for and obtain TLETS and TCIC/NCIC Terminal Operator certification within six (6) months of employment.
- Must qualify for and obtain Basic Telecommunicator Proficiency Certificate from Texas Commission on Law Enforcement within twelve (12) months of employment.
- Previous law enforcement experience is not necessary, but, helpful.
- The person filling this position must be able to work individually with minimal supervision.
- Applicants must have the ability to operate computers systems, speak clearly, perform multiple duties simultaneously, comprehend and process written and verbal directions.
- Skill in dealing with the public and other law enforcement personnel.
- Ability to operate computer systems.
- Must pass medical and psychological screening.
- Ability to tolerate confinement to work area for duration of work shift.
- Ability to perform multiple duties simultaneously.
- Ability to comprehend and execute written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to tolerate and react to high stress situations and emergencies while maintaining composure.
Benefits For Communications Operator
- State-paid health and life insurance plans for you. Insurance becomes effective the first month following the 90-day waiting period. (Hourly and Part-time employees, State-paid at 50%)
- Optional dental plan and health insurance for your family members
- State retirement matching contribution of 6.5 percent of gross salary. Starting after your 90th day of employment, mandatory 6.6% of your monthly salary is deducted pre-tax and deposited into your personal state retirement account.
- Optional 401K and 457 Plans
- Flexible health and dependent day care accounts
- Optional term life insurance for you and your dependents
- Short and long term disability insurance for you
- Voluntary AD&D insurance
- Employees Retirement System (ERS)
- Longevity Pay (Full-time employees)
- Direct Deposit
- Paid sick leave accrues from your first day at work
- Sick Leave Pool for catastrophic illnesses and injuries
- Family Medical Leave
- Smoke-free workplace
- Paid vacation accrues from your first day worked
- Paid Federal and State holidays
- Free Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Programs
- DPS Credit Union
- On-site training opportunities
- Use of gym/fitness center (not available at all locations)
- Health and Wellness Program
Sick leave is earned at the rate of 8 hours per month and may be carried from year to year. A Sick Leave Pool is available to those who make a contribution to the pool.
Vacation is earned according to the following schedule:
|Length of service||Hours accrued per month|
|0 > 2 years||8|
|2 > 5 years||9|
|5 > 10 years||10|
|10 > 15 years||11|
|15 > 20 years||13|
|20 > 25 years||15|
|25 > 30 years||17|
|30 > 35 years||19|
Salary For Communications Operator
- Starting – PCO (probationary) – $2775.08
- PCO II at 2 years – $2960.23
- PCO III at 4 years – $3214.20
- PCO IV at 7 years – $3429.22
- PCO V at 10 years – $4211.73
- SR PCO at 16 years – $4619.19
- Will pay for experience as a Licensed Telecommunicator
On occasions when personnel
Holiday Time is earned when employees work on designated state and federal holidays observed by the State of Texas. Holiday Time must be used within a year after it is earned.