Socialize

The continuing saga of Duck Dynasty in West Texas

West-Word-headerThe ducks won.  Again.

Last week’s column on Duck Dynasty’s two teenagers coming to town got more response than any other column (three) written so far.  Okay, West Words is new and people don’t know about it, but hey, three responses!!  Two from relatives!  Com’on guys!!  Talk to me.

Anyway, three is better than none, so we’re gonna give it another try.  The two teenage reality stars from Louisiana – John Luke and Sadie Robertson (grandchildren of the founder of Duck Commander duck calls) – perform in Cisco June 20 for the annual Rock the Ranch fundraiser. They headline the 2013 benefit sponsored by a local partnership of churches, religious and nonprofit groups, and interested organizations and businesses.

Sadie and John Luke Robertson of West Monroe, Louisiana, are part of the family headed by patriarch Phil Robertson and featured in the unquestionably red-neck reality television series on the A&E channel.

In the League of Kardashians

Duck Dynasty, like several other reality circuses I can mention, is in the league of the Kardashian cult of spoiled rich girls who have no qualms whatsoever about exposing every single intimate detail of their uneducated minds.

The genre has shows on cheating spouses, Honey Bear Do Dah or whatever her name is, doctor’s wives, wives of rich guys, wives in Florida, rude restaurant critiques, and others. Think of just about any bad personality trait, and believe me, there is a reality show to exploit it.

Ducky Dynasty has risen above the thundering herd and developed a fan club of people you’d never guess would join that maddening horde.  For whatever reason the show has caught the fancy of a wide swath of the American public.  Because it is about a family with an unbelievable grasp of red-neck lingo? Because it tells the tale of a family’s cottage industry that made a whole group wealthy?

The Duck Phenomenon is headed by Patriarch Phil, called the Duck Commander after his mind-blowingly successful Duck Commander duck call.  Phil, brother Si, and Phil’s sons Jase, Willie, and Jep, are known for long, flowing beards, American-flag headbands, horrible grammar, and generally-give-a-hoot attitude.  In spite of being well-educated, some to the point of Masters Degrees, the duck people have a steady flow of red-neckedness spewing forth from their hairy mouths.

Listen, this little media phenomenon is scary. At Walmart last week I viewed no fewer than four Duck Commander look-alikes – long, messy beards and hair, camouflage clothing, lace-up boots, etc.   And several point-of-purchase displays of tee-shirts, DVDs, and other paraphernalia.  No kidding.  The Duck People have added another stream of revenue to their bird calls.

These Duck People clones are springing forth from the marshes around Lake Leon, Lake Cisco, Lake Bernie, rivers, creeks, swamps, bayous and other local watering holes, the latter in both senses of the commonly-used phrase.

Eastland County’s current catastrophic drought makes any kind of water a fairly enviable thing.  Unless you’re a pool owner under the ‘no filling swimming pool’ directive.  Don’t question my knowledge of all things water.  I was a teenager on West 14th Street in Cisco during the ‘50s when the National Guard was flying helicopters overhead with water to West Texas cattle dehydrating to the point of death.

Rock the Ranch 2013

This year’s Rock the Ranch headlines are appealing youngsters, neither with a beard nor appearing to have a chaw in the cheek, and charmingly normal except for the fact they have become overnight sensations with lives permanently changed by… duck calls.

One wonders how can a child go forward into the rigors of life with duck calls as the springboard?

In a recent program John Luke follows his father and great uncle on a hunt for a first car for the boy. Now think about it for a minute. This is a group of seven-to-10 family members – all undoubtedly millionaires – scouting for a cheap bargain vehicle for their teenager.  In junkyards!

They test drove Uncle Si’s ancient pickup, considered a junk-yard truck with a sizeable plant growing under the hood, and settled on a brand-new pickup.  John Luke drove away looking happy.  Uncle Si in a grandiose sentimental gesture dynamited his old truck and probably now is driving a Range Rover or Escalade with leather seats and Sirius satellite radio.

Back to Cisco.

Rock the Ranch 2013 is a high-profile, faith-based event for families and teens. Director Lee Lewis of Cisco promises a night of faith, family, and fun staged behind the Cisco High School track field and the Myrtle Wilks Community Center.

My advice:  Bring anti-giant-mosquito repellant, like maybe a baseball bat slathered with DDT.  Coolers of iced-down water are not allowed.  Sponsors will provide those and other non-alcoholic drinks for sale, and food and drink vendors are frying up stuff even as we speak. Attendees are advised to “Bring blankets and lawn chairs but no coolers.”

Gates open at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, June 20, with performances from 6-9 p.m, tickets $5 per person at the gate. Breckenridge native Morgan Frazier and High Valley, one of Billboard’s 2013 Acts to Watch, will perform.

Anyone interested in joining Rock the Ranch as a donor or volunteer, call 325.829-8520. For more information contact Eastland County Open Door or www.facebook.com/supportopendoor.

RTR

Print Friendly

Google1DeliciousDiggGoogleStumbleuponRedditYahooBloggerRSS

25 Responses to The continuing saga of Duck Dynasty in West Texas

1. Karen Taylor

June 27, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Read it again, folks. The column indicated the show is part of the genre of reality shows…and has “risen above the thundering herd.” That was meant as a compliment.

The Robertson kids are described as “appealing youngsters…and charmingly normal…overnight sensations.” The column also said, “Rock the Ranch 2013 is a high-profile, faith-based event for families and teens…a night of faith, family, and fun…” All of which, again, is positive and supportive.

Rock the Ranch is a beautiful idea, well-executed and professionally staged, with hard-working supporters and great beneficiaries, altogether something of which the Microplex should be very proud.

Julie’s comments were right on target. There is a kind of mysterious magnetism to the show, and I suspect it has a lot to do with the family’s self-assured and unapologetic approach to its beliefs and lifestyle.

I will concede that the Kardashian reference was destined to raise dander, and I beg forgiveness for anyone who found their proximity to the Ducks offensive. The explosion of cable television and the relatively low production cost of content for reality shows have created an environment of TMI — too much information — about a lot of unappealing people and situations. Duck Dynasty has risen above that and put together truly unique content and interesting subjects — clearly a recipe for success.

2. Miraculous Mutha

June 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Your in such a hurry.

3. Dean Parsons

June 25, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Yep 2 days later.

Re:

Try refreshing your browser if your comment doesn’t appear after submission.

4. admin

June 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM

@Mi
    RE: This thing doesn’t work half the time.

It seems to be working properly. Try refreshing your browser if your comment doesn’t appear after submission.

@Dean Parsons
    RE: If you are going to censure comments, please do it with a even hand

Try refreshing your browser if your comment doesn’t appear after submission.

5. Mi

June 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM

No one is censuring nothin. This thing doesn’t work half the time.

6. Dean Parsons

June 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM

If you are going to censure comments, please do it with a even hand

7. Dean Parsons

June 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Mutha, it is nice to see you postive about one thing in your life in spite of yourself.

8. Miraculous Mutha

June 22, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Praying for your soul..

9. Dean Parsons

June 22, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Mr or Mrs one eyed undecided unisex mutha tend to your own business and leave the heavy We out of your slander.

10. Miraculous Mutha

June 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Seems to be working now Julie.
    Dean we know from what you have written you will whine regardless of what is posted, and even if there is nothing there.

11. Dean Parsons

June 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Quote A concert with some praying thrown in? Or is it a praying with some concert thrown in? If I hold a locomotive repair school in Scranton hosted by Jim and Tammy Faye Baker, do you think anyone would come with their blankets? Imagine what goes on under those blankets. Maybe we could get everyone fired up and march on the abortion clinic in Ft. Worth.Quote

Are you always full of crap & gibberish? Mr mutha or Mrs undecided.

12. admin

June 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

All the comments seem to be showing up as they should, newest comments on top. Immediately following the article is a series of share icons for Facebook, Twitter etc then the comments.

I took a screen capture of what I see, is this different from your view? http://microplexnews.com/images/comments.jpg

13. Miraculous Mutha

June 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Julie, these comments aren’t attaching to tail of the article, only to the comment section..

14. Julie Elrod

June 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM

@ Michelle B., Your comment is still showing if you scroll down some.

15. Michelle B.

June 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM

So did someone not like my comment? It’s goneI think I’m confused. It sounds like it is poking fun at the Robertsons. I love the show and it had some family values.

16. Miraculous Mutha

June 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Enjoyed the article Karen. Thanks.

17. Cliff Clary

June 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I have never seen tobacco products used during any episode of Duck Dynasty. Maybe I missed it.

18. Dean Parsons

June 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Give her a break, she is only reporting what she sees. Hell last time I had a chaw it developed into oral cancer.
    So much for that crap, you all can have it.
    Have you ever looked at a teenager without a lower jaw? Its a BAD way to go.
    If not for a good Doctors skill I would have been in the same shape.

19. Michelle B.

June 16, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I am also confused. It sounds like you are belittling the Robertsons. We have watched every episode and love them. Its about a family with values what is there not to like. A&E got several complaints about the praying. A&E talked to Phil and he said that’s what we do and we not going to change. Take us like we are or cancel the show. Oh ya did I mention they were renewed for another season.YEA!!!I don’t really like all that many TV now days and you can find me watching taped old black and white shows more often that the new ones.

20. Julie Elrod

June 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I think some of you have misunderstood the intent of the article. I, too, am amazed at the appeal of the show Duck Dynasty after reading a synopsis of the show and seeing the characters. After watching it, however, I was able to appreciate the humor, the embracing of family and things that are simple. I could see that it was habit forming. I can’t put my finger on what it is that makes this show so appealing to such a diverse audience and what makes it so unlike the plethora of ridiculous reality shows available…but it has become a successful show that is also capitalizing on all the Duck Dynasty merchandise… and it’s one I would add to my DVR list if I got the A&E channel.

The intent of this article was to welcome Sadie and John Luke Robertson to Cisco and invite those in the area to check out Rock the Ranch on June 20th.

21. Cliff Clary

June 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM

You write disparaging remarks about the mens apperance, grammer, redneckedness, and on and on. Then go to Wal-Mart and do the same about others that resemble Duck Dynasty folks.
    I hope you don’t belittle the Robertson kid after they visit Cisco.

22. dave

June 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM

What a waste of time reading your article. To say Duck Dynasty is akin to the Kardashians is beyond terrible. God loving, salt of the earth people compared to sluts like the Kardashians. I have read one of your articles and I will not be returning to read any more. Articles by people like you are really bad for good ole Eastland County.

Donor to Rock the Ranch on the way.

23. david

June 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM

24. Karen Taylor

June 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I’m confused. I’m promoting the Ducks coming to Cisco. The cause is great for our town, and the program — Ducks plus two great musicians — should be terrific.

25. Becky

June 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Leave it alone …they can come to Cisco n do good. I dont understand ur problem I love DUCK DYNASTY!!