Socialize

1 Killed in Ranger Hill Accident Monday

IMG_8577

Ranger Hill Accident.. photo taken October 14, 2013 @ 1:00 p.m.

BigCountryHomepage UPDATE at 10:30 p.m. MONDAY: A 24-year-old Cisco resident, Virginia Ann Hutto, died at the accident scene.

Hutto was driving a car that was hit by two other vehicles which jackknifed on the wet pavement.

They were slowing down to miss another accident that had previously happened.

Six trucks and vehicles were involved in the crash on the eastbound side.

MONDAY UPDATE:  At 4:30 p.m.  I-20 was re-opened in both directions.

Original Story: Accidents happened on I-20 at Ranger Hill about 11 a.m. Monday morning.  At 1:00 p.m. the highway is still closed in both directions.

This traffic advisory just in from TxDOT: I-20 at Ranger Hill in Eastland County is currently closed in both directions due to a multiple vehicle wreck. Emergency responders are on the scene, but it will likely take several hours to clear. Drivers are urged to avoid the area and find alternate routes.

Print Friendly

Google1DeliciousDiggGoogleStumbleuponRedditYahooBloggerRSS

8 Responses to 1 Killed in Ranger Hill Accident Monday

1. Dean Parsons

October 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM

The Western & Northern States have made their mountain grades safer for decades by controlling truck speed limits & controlled truck lanes.
    Just what do you think makes Texas any different?

On top of the accident on the hill there was no warning of the traffic jam to other drivers coming up on the jam on the Interstate.

2. Marianna

October 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM

We came upon this very shortly after it happened. Something must be done about this section of road. Flashing lights warning of the steep grade and a third lane would help tremendously. A right lane only truck restriction would make this spot even more dangerous in my opinion. However, a reduced speed would definitely help. I think too many drivers underestimate Ranger Hill after driving mile upon mile of flat prairie road. My thoughts and prayers go out to Ms. Huttos family.

3. Lupe REy

October 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

We were heading west to Odessa when we came upon the line of vehicles waiting for road to open up again and we almost crashed too because this stupid lady decides to stop right in the middle of the highway..our guess was that she was thinking of how to get out of line up ahead …we think she was going to reverse back but lots of cars were coming behind her so she just got stuck in the line with us too. She almost caused us to crash into her for stopping right in the middle of highway…how stupid can she be….and I hope you lady in that truck recognize that yes it’s you I’m calling stupid

4. Dean Parsons

October 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Strict speed enforcement on trucks with right lane truck traffic only.

Stiff fines is the only thing that will get drivers attention.
    California controls their mountain grades with a 25 MPH speed limit.

5. Julie Elrod

October 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I happened upon the accident as I was heading from Strawn to Eastland. Since the I-20 blockage kept me from going up Ranger Hill in time to make the meeting, I just stayed and watched them work the accident. I wish I was never able to get pictures like this because they always mean heartache for someone. My prayers go out for the family friends, and those involved in the accident.

I’m not sure why the site said you had commented before. Sounds like an automated thing that has a time limit between posts so you can’t flood the site with comments in a short period of time?

6. billy edens

October 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM

why did u say I had commented this before ?

7. billy edens

October 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I have not commented before

8. billy edens

October 14, 2013 at 5:13 PM

could we have more pictures of accidents like this ?